The Internet Explorer 6 was released in 2001 and nowadays it is still largely used (almost 25% market share). Despite any anti-microsoft fanatism IE6 is by far the most buggy, unsecure, off the standards, and not to mention obsolete (8 years people!) web browser ever made.
Because of this I have made this plugin. When activated in your WordPress blog it shows a warning message to every user using IE6 (or less) showing some links to alternate and much more up-to-date web browsers.
- Two types of warnings: a small and discreete top bar or a huge-fullscreen-site-cover popup
- Option to crash IE6 browsers instead of giving any warning (oh! that’s a secure browser)
- Customizable message, be kind or be mean with your visitors
- Suggest up to six different browsers: Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer
- Test mode, preview the warning in any browser
- Upload shockingly-big-ie6-warning.X.X.X.zip through WordPress interface or install it directly from the plugin area
- Activate it through the ‘Plugins’ menu
- Visit the settings page in the admin area at Settings > S. Big IE6 Warning and configure it
On the Shockingly Big IE6 Warning options page, if you click on the Red IE6 Logo a tab named Registry will showed up, click it to see the value of all the fields. nice for debugging.
Blocking Every IE Version
Alex Bailey have posted a modified .js file to show the full page warning with every Internet Explorer version, you can download it here.
I’m no professional programmer, this plugin is mantained in the little spare time that I have between work and university and neither is english my native language so ANY suggestion for the plugin coding or text will be appreciated.
If this plugin helped you in some way, or you just like it and want to contribute to my late night coffee (I code at night!), just use the button below:
If you donate, send me an e-mail and I will link you at the donors list!